Tasks, Functions, and Rights
The Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Uzbekistan (hereinafter - the Ministry) is a public administration body, which generally manages and coordinates the activities of the system of internal affairs.
The Ministry reports directly to the President and the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
The Minister of Internal Affairs is a member of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
The Ministry follows the Constitution and laws of the Republic of Uzbekistan, resolutions of the chambers of the Oliy Majlis, decrees, resolutions and orders of the President, resolutions and orders of the Cabinet of Ministers, orders and decrees of the Minister of Internal Affairs and the Charter of the Ministry.
The Ministry carries out its activities directly and through law enforcement agencies, including government agencies, citizens' self-government bodies, other organizations, and the media.
The followings are the main tasks of the Ministry:
- ensuring the rights, freedoms and legal interests of citizens, property of individuals and legal entities, protection of the constitutional order, the rule of law, security of the individual, society and the state;
- establishment of systematic, targeted communication with the people, close cooperation with citizens' self-government institutions, other institutions of civil society, and comprehensive assistance in solving the most critical problems of the population;
- to educate minors and young people in the spirit of love for the Motherland, patriotism, respect for national and universal values, to organize practical work to protect the young generation from the ideas of terrorism, religious extremism, violence and cruelty;
- to control, coordinate and ensure the effectiveness of the activities of law enforcement agencies at all levels, primarily in the field of crime prevention, combating crime, crime detection and forensic activities, inquiries and preliminary investigations;
- maintaining public order and protection of public safety, organization of control over compliance with the rules of acquisition, registration, storage and use of prohibited or restricted by law weapons, other objects and substances;
- ensuring road safety, control over acquiescence with the law in the field of migration and the passport system;
- organization of execution of criminal penalties and other measures of criminal-legal influence, correction and re-education of prisoners, and also finding the missing people;
- take a systematic analysis of the causes of the offences and the conditions that allow them, to take measures to eliminate them through the development of proposals to improve legislation and law enforcement practices;
- increasing legal awareness and legal culture in society, forming in citizens an intolerant attitude to violations of the law, developing in them a sense of obedience to the law and respect for human rights and freedoms;
- training, retraining, advanced training, selection and placement of police personnel, and the organization of an effective system of legal and social protection of law enforcement officers.
The Ministry has the following rights to perform the roles and responsibilities assigned to it:
- submitting proposals to the President, the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan and other government bodies on issues of improving the legislation and law enforcement practice;
- to involve citizens to cooperation, and to encourage who have assisted law enforcement agencies and served in maintaining public order, ensuring public safety, crime prevention and combating corruption;
- to make mandatory submissions to government bodies, other organizations or the persons concerned on the elimination of violations;
- to issue decisions and other documents in cooperation with other ministries, state committees and agencies;
- free use of the official mass media for details of crimes, identification of perpetrators and finding the missing people;
- to get free information from organizations and citizens for the police activities is legally exception in some cases;
- creation of information systems and databases using techniques and special means for the prevention and detection of crimes and other offences;
- establishment of print and electronic media to cover the activities of police, the publication of normative legal acts, official announcements, other materials on the responsibilities assigned to law enforcement agencies;
- implementation of international cooperation with law enforcement agencies, public associations and international organizations of foreign countries based on bilateral and multilateral agreements;
- involvement of specialists from ministries and agencies to conduct activities related to crime prevention and combating crime;
- make proposals on the establishment of state unitary enterprises to improve the procedure for providing public services to individuals and legal entities;
- establishment of symbols of law enforcement divisions and distinctive badges.
The Ministry is headed by the Minister of Internal Affairs (hereinafter - the Minister), who approved by the President on the recommendation of the Prime Minister and dismissed by the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
- manages the system of internal affairs;
- submits proposals to the President, and Cabinet of Ministers on organizational, staffing, financial, economic, logistical and other issues related to the implementation of the responsibilities assigned to them;
- makes changes in the structure of the Ministry and its subdivisions;
- approves within his power the organizational structures of the divisions of the Ministry;
- approves within his power, the regulations on divisions of the Ministry, and standard regulations on territorial divisions of internal affairs;
- issues orders, decrees and other documents within the powers assigned to the Ministry and controls their execution;
- establishes the powers of his deputies, divides responsibilities among them, sets the powers of other officials of the Ministry to lead the activities of certain departments of the Ministry and the work of law enforcement agencies;
- cancels resolutions (written instructions) of the heads of territorial bodies of internal affairs made in violation of the law;
- assigns special ranks to police officers, submits to the President a proposal to award the generals of internal affairs bodies with titles;
- establishes scholarships of the Ministry, sets the amount and terms of payment of such scholarships for students and cadets of higher educational institutions of the Ministry;
- solves issues of encouragement and applying of disciplinary sanctions on police officers, students and cadets of higher educational institutions of the Ministry, nominates them for honorary titles and state awards of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
The Minister has seven deputies, including one First Deputy, appointed by the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
In the absence of the Minister, the First Deputy performs his responsibilities.
Based on their responsibilities, the Deputy Ministers direct specific areas of the Ministry's activities.
On behalf of the Minister, his deputies issue orders and instructions within their powers.
The Ministry has a Board, which consists of a Minister (Chairman of the Board), his deputies (ex officio), and heads of departments of the Ministry.
The Cabinet of Ministers approves the number and members of the Board with the reference of the Minister.
The Board considers concerns related to the implementation of the main tasks listed in the Charter.
Heads of other ministries, state committees, agencies, local authorities and other organizations may be invited to the meetings of the Board to consider issues within the power of the Ministry.